Monday, August 9, 2010

Flamenco Eggs (or the Man-pie)

Feels great to cook again! :D 
Granted, I did cook all through summer, but it was mainly for my family. Cooking for six is mainly about getting a large quantity of good food on the table, leaving little room for error. Cooking for two is much easier on my nerves and allows for more flavors and experiments to happen (and having a boyfriend who will eat anything I serve helps).

As such, I was looking through
400 Best-Ever Budget Recipes by Lucy Doncaster (my go-to book alongside Cooking School and FamilyFun Cookbook), and found this recipe under the Vegeterian section (GASP, I considered eating veggies!). Considering my budget and time, I had to modify the original recipe quite a bit to make it a fuller one-course meal.

Overall, it was a lovely dish and experience to share with my boyfriend, from cooking the filling, to looking as the eggs slowly rose in my itty bitty toaster oven to slicing and serving it like a big meaty pie.

Ingredients
1 onion, diced
1 red and green bell pepper, diced
10 to 12 slices of bacon (substituting the pancetta in the recipe)
1 can of sausages (substituting the chorizo in the recipe), diced
1 1/2 tsp of garlic

1 tbsp unsalted butter
4 eggs

1 generous tbsp of white wine
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
1/3 cup of roughly chopped cilantrillo
Dash of paprika, salt and pepper

Shredded cheese to top (Optional, I use my standard Italian blend)

Preheat the oven at 350F ("Bake" on a toaster oven). Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the diced onion, bacon, garlic, peppers, sausages and half the cilantrillo.

Add the white wine and season to taste. Let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes until bacon is thoroughly cooked and the onion is translucent. Crack the eggs (avoiding breaking the yolk) and set aside.



Prepare a 7" pie plate (or four baking dishes for individual servings) with cooking spray. Cover the bottom with the breadcrumbs completely.

Drain the cooked filling thoroughly and place it inside the pie plate uniformly. Gently pour each egg and cover with the cheese (if using it) and the cilantrillo.



Bake for 8 minutes (10 to cook the yolks a bit more) and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails