Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sardine pick-me-up dinner


 ...Or getting-over-my-fear dinner.

Another of my culinary surprises for my guinea—err, boyfriend. While he was burning his brain away last Thursday night, a friend of mine and I got some quick grocery shopping done to get through the last remainder of the semester. Among the things I bought was a can of sardines.

I must confess that I have ichthyophobia, or fear of fishes. Dead or alive, I feel uncomfortable around any of them. If you want to laugh at my expense, show me fish, and I will jump so high, I'll touch the ceiling.

So making this dish is a baby step to getting over that fear and show how much I appreciate my boyfriend.

Ingredients
1 can of sardine fillets
1 tomato
1/ 2 cup of Feta cheese (I used  Feta Mediterranean, found in the cheese aisle or section of your supermarket)
2 tbsp extra virgin oil + extra for drizzling
1 small red onion
Italian seasoning
black pepper
slices of bread
Shredded cheese, Italian mix for topping

To start, preheat the oven to 400 F

Prepare the sardines by sprinkling some Italian Seasoning on both sides. Pan fry the fillets in a shallow skillet with the oil until both sides have become golden, but not crisp.

Slice the tomato and onion into disks.

Drizzle some oil on the bread slices and add some more Italian seasoning.

Assemble the dish on a previously greased baking sheet by placing the tomato slices on the bread, followed by the fillets, Feta cheese and finally the onion.

Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese has just begun to melt.

Sprinkle some shredded cheese to taste and enjoy.

Typically makes 3 pick-me-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails